Brad is VP Government Affairs/Associate General Counsel at Beacon Health Options. He is a practicing lawyer and government relations professional with over 20 years of public and private sector experience analyzing and addressing regulatory issues, including complex legal and policy issues in health care. Among his duties at Beacon Health Options, Brad creates strategies to implement Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA) and health care reform. Brad advises and reports regularly to Senior Executives on health care reform developments. Brad is seen as a leading expert on MHPAEA analysis and compliance, having led numerous panel discussions and speaking engagements.
Brad is currently Co-Chair of the AHLA Behavioral Task Force, Government and State Affairs Subcommittee.
Previously, Brad has worked as a regulatory attorney at the Federal Communications Commission and as in-house counsel at Cavalier Telephone, LLC. Brad holds a BA in English from the University of Michigan and a JD from Wayne State University Law School.
Past speaking engagements:
- National Council for Behavioral Health Policy Institute 2013 panel: “Perspectives on Parity from Managed Care”;
- Colorado Coalition for Parity presentation 2014;
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) 2015 Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues panel: "The Changing Landscape of Medicaid Coverage of Behavioral Health.”
- AHLA 2015 Annual Program panel, “The MHPAEA: Recent Developments, Federal and State Interpretations, How to Comply"
- The 2nd Annual Payer's Behavioral Health Management Summit panel: "Understand Mental Health Parity and Federal Mandates for Behavioral Health Coverage"
- "Advancing Research and Policy on Mental Health Addiction Parity", Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Virginia Bar Association, 11th Annual Virginia Health Care Practitioners’ Roundtable
- Wayne Law Alumni Speaker Series: Law in the Health Industry
- Employee Assistance Roundtable, speaker: "Legislative Action"
- AHLA 2016 Annual Program panel, "Federal Behavioral Health Legislative and Regulatory Activity"
- National Business Group on Health, Webinar panelist, " Mental Health Parity: Do Your Plans Have Red Flags?"
- New Hampshire Parity Workshop, panelist, NH Alcohol and Other Drug Service Providers Association
- Seton Hall Law School, The Puzzle of Parity: Implementing Behavioral Health Parity, Sentinel Project, panelist, September 2016
- Oregon State Bar Health Law Section, Parity panel, February 2017
- NATCON17, "Parity Can Work: Lessons Learned", National Council, panelist, April 2017
- AHLA, "Mental Health Parity: Updates", presenter, April 2017
- AHLA, "Trends in Enforcement of the MHPAEA and Compliance Strategies for In-House Counsel", presenter, December 2017
- Kennedy Forum, Parity Accreditation speaker, CHQI, January 2018
- World Congress, Behavioral Health Care Congress, Moderator 42 CFR Part 2 Panel, October 2018
- NATCON 19, "Parity: What Comes Next?" panelist, March 2019
- Seton Hall Law School, Guest lecturer, 2019