Oil States challenged the constitutionality of the PTAB’s authority to extinguish patent rights in an inter partes review proceeding. The Oil States case is illustrative of the different perspectives on patent rights and patent policy. Even with the case closed, the discussion still continues.
- Explore what the holding means and what it doesn’t mean
- Evaluate the strategies and actions being taken as a result of the holding
- Examine the tension between Oil States and SAS Institute.
VP and Chief Patent Counsel
Chief IP Counsel
Goodwin Procter LLP
The financial services industry is constantly adapting to meet the changing digital economy. The industry has become almost completely digitalized, and with this change, there are new intellectual property issues for in-house counsel to confront. In this session, discuss IP issues and opportunities for in-house counsel to consider as the world becomes more digital.
Chief Innovation Legal Officer and Associate General Counsel
Assistant General Counsel
Royal Bank of Canada
Vice President and Assistant General Counsel
Senior Director and Assistant General Counsel
In years to come, AI will continue to develop and disrupt different industries and our institutions. Soon, corporate counsel can take advantage of the AI to automatically and independently create an eligible business method patent and evaluate patent portfolios. The financial services industry will face new issues regarding artificial intelligence.
- Explore the crossroads between artificial intelligence and financial patents
- Determine the advantages and disadvantages to incorporating AI into your patent portfolio
Cantor Colburn, LLP
Having a patent portfolio provides many opportunities for in-house counsel; however, most companies simply maintain their patent portfolios without particular emphasis on the quality or potential use of those patents. A patent portfolio should be strengthened and intensified in order to maximize a return on this investment.
- Understand the importance of an optimized patent portfolio
- Learn how to leverage Patent Office procedures to maximize effectiveness and efficiency
- Discuss the how to address potential issues in pending applications and issued patents
Adapt IP Ventures
Director, Intellectual Property
Every year, FinTech startups produce new and exciting technology, from mobile payments and money transfers to loan shopping. For traditional financial institutions, the question is whether to purchase the underlying IP or the entire company. In this session, explore the advantages and risks to partnering with or acquiring FinTech companies.
- Determine whether to partner with or acquire a FinTech startup
- Evaluate the risks and opportunities of engaging with FinTech companies
- Discuss strategies and best practices for courting a FinTech company
Executive Director and Associate General Counsel, Intellectual Property and Data
The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation (DTCC)
Bank of Montreal
Ropes & Gray LLP
Ropes & Gray LLP
Privacy and cybersecurity issues are on the rise. With the implementation of the GDPR, the impending the ePrivacy Regulation, and the development of California’s new privacy law, in-house counsel of companies from each industry need to be prepared the changing data ecosystem. During this session, examine the fastest growing area of law.
- Assess the implementation of the GDPR
- Prepare for the ePrivacy Regulation
- Discuss California’s new privacy law
- Understand privacy risks and liabilities on the federal level
VP & Senior Counsel – Global Privacy Team
Vice President, Assistant General Counsel IP and Technology
Managing Counsel - Global Privacy & Regulatory
With ICOs gaining popularity and Bitcoin’s volatile movements, cryptocurrencies offer many opportunities and also many risks. As these new currencies gain mainstream momentum, in-house counsel must be prepared to tackle a new set issues. During this session, discuss the legal issues affecting in-house counsel in regards to cryptocurrencies.
- Examine the future regulatory landscape
- Address anti-money laundering concerns
- Discover the ethical implications of cryptocurrencies.
IEX Group, Inc.
Amster, Rothstein & Ebenstein, LLP