Day One - Monday, March 19, 2018
UNDERSTAND HOW TO MAP THE PATIENT JOURNEY TO INFORM THE DESIGN OF PATIENT ACCESS AND ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS TO REDUCE TIME TO FILL DELAYS
- Gain insight into patient decision making and opportunities to provide support programs
- Understand how to map the different touch points of the patient journey and identify the patient insurance and access challenges
- Evaluate data from the patient journey to inform a value based support program
- Design an effective support program to ensure patient adherence, access and speed to therapy, and affordability
- Avoid interruptions in speed to therapy and design support solutions for uninsured and underinsured patients
- Help patients gain a holistic view of their coverage and benefits to overcome barriers to access
Day Two - Tuesday, March 20, 2018
Summit Registration and Morning Coffee
Chairperson's Welcome and Opening Remarks
ENHANCE HEALTH OUTCOMES THROUGH DEVELOPING A PATIENT-FOCUSED MODEL AND INNOVATIVE HEALTH SOLUTIONS
Healthcare stakeholders are in the midst of radical change, with a growing shift from products to patients. More than ever, new strategies and organizational structures are being put in place to develop innovative patient-focused solutions that enhance health outcomes, save costs, and contribute to preventative health and disease management. Although industry is aware that we must address the whole patient to have maximum impact, pharmaceutical companies are still determining the meaning of “Patient-Centricity” for their organization. In order to create meaningful patient centric solutions, pharma must determine a patient centric strategy across the product lifecycle, identify areas for culture and organizational changes, and determine their role in adding value to the patient beyond the pill. Understand how to develop patient focused solutions that align with commercial goals and improve the patient experience.
- Discuss ways to successfully transform internal culture from product-centered to patient-centered
- Determine a patient-focused strategy across the product lifecycle, research and development and commercialization process
- Co-create meaningful patient solutions to deliver value, enhance patient engagement, and improve health outcomes
ADVANCE STAKEHOLDER COLLABORATIONS TO DELIVER VALUE BASED CARE AND DRIVE VALUE FOR A BETTER PATIENT EXPERIENCE
In an era of increasing interest around patient centricity, stakeholders are turning to partnerships to improve quality and patient outcomes. As changes in payer reimbursement, regulatory requirements, and stakeholder incentives continue to take shape, it is important to align value incentives to improve care coordination and drive a better patient experience. Understand how to develop a patient-centric design through stakeholder partnerships.
- Understand best practices for improving partnerships with key stakeholder groups
- Establish trust and align value incentives to improve patient care coordination and improve the patient experience
- Explore each stakeholder’s role in health care delivery and opportunities to collaborate in preventative health, disease management, and advocacy initiatives
- Forge new partnerships to champion co-creation and shared decision-making efforts
FDA INSIGHT: NAVIGATE THE REGULATORY LANDSCAPE TO EFFECTIVELY ENGAGE THE PATIENT VOICE IN ADVOCACY, ADHERENCE AND ENGAGEMENT EFFORTS
Involving the patient voice in all aspects of the drug development to commercialization process will require pharma to comply with FDA regulations. As the FDA continues to roll out patient representation and engagement initiatives, there is opportunity for pharma, advocacy, and government executives to align on effective ways to involve patients in engagement initiatives. Gain insight from the FDA on best practices for collaborating with them to incorporate patient insights into the pharma model.
- Navigate the regulatory landscape to overcome hurdles to patient adherence and engagement
- Gain clarity on FDA Guidelines to effectively engage patient groups in co-creating solutions
- Discuss current FDA programs and future initiatives around policy efforts
- Discover FDA initiatives to diversify clinical trials and improve the patient experience
Networking and Refreshment Break
STAKEHOLDER ROUNDTABLE: COLLABORATE TO ACHIEVE STREAMLINED APPROACHES TO PATIENT-CENTRIC DESIGNS ACROSS THE PRODUCT LIFECYCLE
A key theme across various stakeholders revolves around developing an integrated patient-centric strategy across the drug development and commercialization process. In order to ensure the patient voice is incorporated at every stage of a product life cycle, pharma must break down the silos between clinical, advocacy, and patient solution functions to ensure an integrated patient-centric strategy. Through this keynote, discover how to incorporate the patient voice and improve health outcomes through an integrated patient-centric strategy.
PATIENT PANEL ADDRESS: UNDERSTAND THE PATIENT JOURNEY TO ENHANCE THE PATIENT EXPERIENCE AND INFORM ENGAGEMENT STRATEGIES
Enhancing the patient experience requires pharma to understand the complete story of how patients move through the health care system, the resources they have, and the barriers they face. Developing a patient centric strategy requires an in depth understanding of how pharma can support patients throughout their patient experience. Hear an inspirational patient story to gain insight into the patient the various solutions and strategies pharma can employ to improve the patient experience.
UNDERSTAND THE BARRIERS AND FACILITATORS TO ENHANCING THE PATIENT JOURNEY TO INCREASE SPEED TO THERAPY AND PATIENT ACCESS
A key to improving the patient experience is to map the patient journey from the time they are diagnosed to the point of treatment. Once diagnosed, patients often face barriers to receiving their prescribed medications and refills. These barriers are attributed to challenges in the prior authorization, step edits, fail firsts, medical benefit and pharmacy benefit designs, resulting in high prescription abandonment rates. Once on therapy, patients face challenges in medication therapy management and compliance to medication regimens for high cost specialty therapies. During this session understand the barriers to patient access and explore potential solutions for speed to therapy and compliance through patient journey mapping.
- Understand the barriers and time involved in getting a patient on therapy
- Explore the partnership opportunities for health plans and pharma in accelerating speed to therapy and patient compliance
- Gain insight into the patient journey and potential solutions for improving the patient experience
PAYER PERSPECTIVES: UNDERSTAND THE PRIOR AUTHORIZATION PROCESS AND EVOLVING PAYER LANDSCAPE TO LEARN HOW TO COLLABORATE WITH PAYERS TO ENHANCE SPEED TO THERAPY AND SHORTEN TIME TO FILL
Prior authorization reform is top of mind for provider and payer groups as they seek to alleviate the administrative and care access challenges related to prior authorizations. Prior authorizations were put in place to ensure cost-savings within a prescription benefit plan to help ensure the appropriate use of a selected prescription drug. If a Prior Authorization is rejected, this can result in the process starting over again with the doctor prescribing a new medication or the patient never picking up the prescribed medication from the pharmacy. As payers continue to leverage prior authorizations, especially on high cost specialty drugs, it is important for pharma to understand how prior authorization decisions are made and why some therapies are denied, how they can anticipate the complexity of services necessary for drugs that would require prior authorizations, and how to get accurate formulary information to patients in this process. Understand the evolving payer landscape and how this will affect speed to therapy, improve time to fill, and shorten patient wait time.
- Understand the evolving payer landscape and how to streamline partnerships to improve the time to fill process
- Understand how to calculate the risk evaluation and calculation of a given product
- Gain insights into how payers are reforming the overall prior authorization process and the evolving implications on speed to therapy
- Discover the complexity of services for drugs that require a Prior Authorization
- Understand how to ensure accurate formulary information is provided to the patients
Networking and Refreshment Break
ESTABLISH PARTNERSHIPS WITH IDN’S AND SPECIALTY PHARMACIES TO STREAMLINE CARE COORDINATION, PROVIDE SUPPORT SERVICES AND IMPROVE TIME TO FILL
Many hospitals and health systems are integrating specialty pharmacy services within their organizations to deliver more integrated and comprehensive care for patients with complex conditions. As patients with specialty medications require customized services, it is important to work with specialty pharmacies and IDNs to ensure the patients are receiving the support services they need to access their therapies as well as stay on them. In this session, hear directly from IDNs and specialty pharmacies on how to develop partnerships to improve time to fill.
- Understand the evolving market place and the evolution of specialty pharmacies within IDNs
- Understand the pharmacist role in coordinating the patient journey from point of diagnosis to point of treatment
- Form partnerships with specialty pharmacies to improve time to fill and access to therapy
LEVERAGE DATA TO EVALUATE THE PATIENT JOURNEY, ALIGN YOUR PORTFOLIO WITH PATIENT NEEDS AND IDENTIFY CAUSES FOR DELAY
Manufacturers looking to understand the patient journey in its entirety are often finding it challenging to find the right partners that can provide the meaningful data that they need. As patient journey mapping requires a data-driven methodology, manufacturers must leverage the data to understand the different touch points of the patient and its impact on the time to fill process. Understand how to leverage data insights from the patient journey to understand patient behavior and gaps in speed to therapy to develop strategies to drive pipeline optimization and patient service solutions.
- Understand how to improve data capture capabilities to identify causes for delay
- Leverage data to understand patient behavior to improve the patient experience
- Establish data driven insights to opportunities to provide solutions throughout the patient Journey
CONDUCT A COMPREHENSIVE PRODUCT PROFILE AND REVIEW TO IDENTIFY THE OPTIMAL ACCESS AND CHANNEL STRATEGIES TO CREATE THE DESIRED PATIENT EXPERIENCE
When bringing a new therapy to market, product teams must conduct a product profile review to identify the characteristics a product needs in order to establish a successful access strategy and patient experience. Key considerations in developing an access strategy include assessing the indication and associated side effects, identifying storage and handling requirements, understanding reimbursement channels, and determining appropriate partners and services to wrap around a given product. In this session we will discuss how to develop a channel strategy that is designed to support the optimal patient experience and mitigate barriers to access.
- Conduct a successful product profile review to determine key partnerships, data, and services that will meet the specific needs of your product characteristics
- Map the patient journey to identify an effective distribution strategy
- Understand the impact of limited distribution networks and prior authorization requirements to improve patient access and affordability
- Discuss ways that channel selection can address product/portfolio needs surrounding storage, delivery and product integrity
Cocktail and Reception Break
Patient Awards Ceremony WEGO HEALTH
Day Three - Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Chairperson’s Welcome and Review of Day Two
MULTI-STAKEHOLDER PANEL DISCUSSION: IMPROVE PATIENT ACCESS THROUGH ALIGNING VALUE CONSIDERATIONS AND LEVERAGING STAKEHOLDER PARTNERSHIPS TO IMPROVE PATIENT ACCESS AND REDUCE TIME TO FILL DELAYS
Providing an enhanced patient experience requires coordination between patient, physician, payer, PBM, specialty pharmacy and manufacturer. Aligning the incentives of each stakeholder is key to optimizing patient access and overcoming time to fill delays. Hear firsthand from all stakeholders as they dive deeper into how each of them can improve speed to therapy, optimize patient access, and improve the patient experience.
- Discover how key stakeholders can better collaborate to improve the patient experience and overcome access barriers
- Understand the changing prior authorization landscape to develop an effective patient access strategy
- Provide coordinated support to the patient to improve the patient experience from diagnosis to treatment
STREAMLINING HUB SERVICE CAPABILITIES TO REDUCE TIME TO FILL, ENSURE PATIENT ACCESS AND AFFORDABILITY, AND IMPROVE THE PATIENT EXPERIENCE
It is important to understand the value of different design elements before making the large investments necessary to develop and maintain a hub program. Explore the intricacies of varying elements that would ensure the program has the processes and capabilities necessary to deliver the desired patient services while also capturing information that can contribute to the brand or corporate strategy.
- Understand the intricacies of hub selection and patient services to enhance patient adherence
- Establish coordination between segments to develop cohesive resources to assist in patient access
Networking and Refreshment Break
BRIDE THE CARE GAP THROUGH LEVERAGING EPRIOR AUTHORIZATION TECHNOLOGIES TO INCREASE TIME TO FILL, DECREASE BENEFIT VERIFICATION DELAYS, AND IMPROVE PATIENT ACCESS
Simplifying patient access and accelerating time-to-therapy has proven to enhance patient adherence, compliance and outcomes. Integrating therapy specific care management tools into EHRs can accelerate time-to-therapy for patients. Understand how to bridge the gap for the specialty patient through leveraging the EHR to support patient access and adherence.
- Simplify patient access and accelerate time-to-therapy to improve patient adherence rates
- Understand the current challenges and solutions in e-prescribing and electronic prior authorization processes
- Reduce time to start therapy to ensure patient access and reduce abandonment rates
CASE STUDY: DISCOVER HOW TO MAP THE PATIENT JOURNEY FROM START TO FINISH TO INFORM PATIENT SERVICE AND ACCESS STRATEGIES
- Evaluate the entire patient journey throughout the continuum of care to identify opportunities and challenges
- Develop strategies to understand patient behavior and leverage the patient voice and quantitative data as direct input into patient journey mapping strategies
- Explore case examples on the process of mapping the patient journey and understand how to develop patient services for differing therapeutic areas
CREATE AN ADHERENCE STRATEGY FOR SPECIALTY THERAPIES TO IMPROVE ADHERENCE RATES AND OVERCOME PATIENT ACCESS CHALLENGES FOR HIGHLY MANAGED MEDICATIONS
Patients who use a specialty drug often suffer from the most life threatening diseases. As specialty drugs typically come with a high cost and address diseases that are complex in nature, manufacturers must understand how to develop support strategies to help patients adhere to highly managed medications. Explore how to maintain adherence with chronic disease patients.
- Collaborate with pharmacies and specialty pharmacies to ensure patients have proper access to their medications
- Understand how to overcome the barriers to complex and expensive regimens to improving patient adherence
- Leverage patient education and maintain adherence amongst chronic disease patients
ASSIST PATIENTS IN OVERCOMING FINANCIAL BARRIERS THROUGH ENSURING PATIENT ASSISTANCE FOR IMPROVED ADHERENCE RATES
A major barrier to patient adherence is the financial challenges patients face when retrieving their medication. Pharma can help patients navigate the complex payer environment and get access to necessary therapies through providing patient assistance programs. Understand how to work with patient advocacy organizations to connect patients to the right assistance program to assist in the treatment journey.
- Examine the co-pay assistance and coupon programs available to patients
- Leverage patient advocacy to address the financial and education barriers to adherence
- Build mutually beneficial partnerships with advocacy groups to link patients to access programs and resources
Close of Summit