Pre-Conference Morning Workshops
Sunday, April 29, 2018 • 9:00 AM- 12:00 PM
There will be a 30-minute networking break from 10:45 am – 11:15 am
Morning Workshop I: The Promise of High-Performance Health Care
There is a crop of new health care companies that deliver predictably better health outcomes at lower cost than conventional approaches in high value niches of clinical, financial, and administrative risk.
This workshop brings together vendors, benefits advisers, and purchasers to discuss the dynamics, barriers, and potential within this sector.
Institute CEO and Group Cofounder, Health Rosetta; Author: The CEO’s Guide to Restoring the American Dream
Assistant Vice President and Managing Director, Innovation Lab Practice
Arthur J. Gallagher
Senior Vice President
USI Insurance Services
Executive Vice President
Accountable Health, LLC
Morning Workshop II: Take Control of Your PBM Contracting
Attend this workshop and learn the ABC's of the drug contracting process, starting with the manufacturer. Learn how discounts, formularies, and rebates work and take control of your drug spend. Leverage strategies used by the pharma supply chain in your favor rather than the other way around.
Morning Workshop III: High-Performance Risk Management Platforms
Targeted risk management modules inevitably give way to platforms that integrate solutions to high value clinical, financial, and administrative risks that define health care.
In this workshop, get a close look at the challenges and results of an early effort that incorporates advanced analytics, worksite primary care, musculoskeletal management, and other capabilities.
Pre-Conference Afternoon Workshops
Sunday, April 29, 2018 • 12:30 PM- 3:30 PM
There will be a 15-minute networking and refreshment break from 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM
A: Leadership MasterClass: Launch, Lead, and Realize Value from Change Initiatives
*Space is limited. This workshop ends at 4 pm.
This case-based MasterClass explores the drama and trauma of daily management, including resistance to change. Discuss critical success factors that transform professionals into more effective leaders, who in turn distinguish their organizations as industry frontrunners. Understand pre-conditions for higher productivity and performance – more speed and lower cost – based on theory and practical examples. A unique highlight of the workshop is a case discussion about healthier leadership and our responsibilities to ourselves, to others, and to our change initiatives.
- Engage in a provocative case discussion that challenges participants’ decision-making process
- Explore several enablers that transform individuals into leaders who create a unique and adaptable competitive advantage
- Understand the tie-in between these pre-conditions for change and the ability to successfully launch, lead, and realize value from change initiatives.
B: Enhance the Patient Experience: Foster Emotional Intelligence in Nurses and Front Line Leaders
Nurses have a profound impact on a patient’s health care experience through day-to-day personal interactions and the clinical expertise they provide. This interactive workshop focuses on the emotional intelligence of the nurse and delineates how nurses can positively impact each patient encounter.
Attendees engage in dialogue and discussion pertaining to key organizational development essentials: Emotional Intelligence; Implicit Bias (IB); and the concepts of “position power” and “personal power” and what effects they have on direct reports, colleagues, and patients.
In this Workshop:
- Foster a greater understanding of how one’s workplace behavior positively and negatively impacts colleagues and patients
- Adopt best-practices in communications and teamwork to instill positive attitudes and behaviors that create a caring and respectful organizational culture
- Apply customer services strategies to positively impact the patient experience
- Understand the elements of the HCAPS Survey and how reimbursement dollars for your facility are tied to HCAP results
- Review a Team Performance Model and understand how to keep communication channels open
C: Hospital-led Urgent Care – Extend Your Reach and Meet Patient Expectations
In the effort to expand their service lines, serve more patients at more points of the care continuum, and improve overall patient satisfaction, many hospitals and health systems are exploring expansion into urgent care. This workshop takes an in-depth look at the business opportunity from the view of a health system and provides a how-to case study including successes and lessons learned.
- The Decision to Journey into Urgent Care
- Explore the value-proposition for various stakeholders including the hospital and consumers
- Involve leadership and gain buy-in
- Design a low margin, high volume, on-demand care model
- Meet patients where they are and drive engagement with easy-to-access care
- Steps to Launch an Urgent Care Clinic
- Address resources like staffing and determine infrastructure needs
- Set objectives and a timeline
- Define business lines
- Develop metrics for patient satisfaction and a foundation for performance improvement
- Data-Driven Branding and Marketing Strategies
- Discuss consumer outreach methods including social media
- Explore data integration efforts for EMR and disparate sources
- Leverage Service Line Opportunities
- Explore primary care, wellness coaching, and occupational health
- Discuss specialty care – pediatrics, oncology, and women’s health
- Assess retail clinic opportunities – factors to consider for site selection
- Lessons-Learned – What NOT to Do
D. Employer-led Direct Contracting: High-Value Care at Lower Cost
This workshop showcases five high-performance health care organizations that excel in clinical, financial, and administrative risk management. Learn how these organizations deliver improved health outcomes while curbing costs. Examine direct contracting models that significantly reduce financial burden while optimizing care delivery.
E. Break Through the Status Quo: Become a Next Generation Benefits Firm
Status quo employee benefits agencies produce status quo results in benefits along with renewal and annual premium increases. It is time to bring innovation to the benefits marketplace. In this workshop,
- Know what it takes to transform into a next generation benefits firm
- Explore new business models and disrupt the benefits industry
- Learn how to improve employee benefits and reduce health care costs for your clients
President, Bottom Line Solutions, Inc.;
Author, DO or DIE: Reinventing Your Benefits Agency for Post-Reform Success
F: Mitigate Social Determinants of Health: Explore Active Industry-Community Efforts and Results
Office of Integrated Care Innovations, Center for Integrated Programs, U.S. Administration for Community Living
US Health and Human Services
G: Getting to the Real Bottom Line – Measuring Wellness Program Results
Wonder whether your wellness program delivers savings and results? Want to make sure you are choosing programs with the highest impact and best savings? In this workshop, find answers to the above questions and walk away with:
- Useful, practical tools to discern high-value from hype
- Scientific methods to assess a vendor’s ROI promises
- Confidence to make great choices for your wellness programs
Understand population health metrics, how measures work, and the role of measure stewards. Learn from case studies, engage in small group discussions, and gain strategies to maximize savings.